Easy and Delicious Maine Lobster Chowder Recipe
Lobsters are well-known for their nutritious source of Omega-3 and delicious taste. That’s why they are made into so many delicious dishes, and the most famous one must probably be Maine lobster chowder. Let Fishermen’s Net help you to make this one and only lobster chowder!
- 1 large onion
- 3 large unpeeled red potatoes, you can use 3 large white potatoes instead
- 1 tsp of kosher or sea salt
- ½ tsp of freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp of dried basil, which is optional. You can add this to plus more taste
- 8 tbsp of salted butter
- 1 pound of par-cooked lobster meat (claw and tail), cut it into chunks
- 3 tbsp of whole-kernel corn
- 1 can of evaporated milk
- 6 cups of water
- ½ of milk or cream (optional)
- For 8 to 10 servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 1 hour
- Total: 1 hour
Preparation of Maine lobster chowder
- Onions needed to be cut into small dices
- Unpeeled red potatoes must be cut into cubes. If you use white potatoes, remember to peel them
- Remove the lobsters’ heads. Using their claws and tails. Wash the lobster meat gently in cool water, repeat 4 to 5 times to remove all the dirt in it.
Wash the lobster gently with water
To make the dish more perfect, you should pay attention to a few things that we’ve listed here:
- If you like a thicker lobster chowder, the amount of needed water should be 5 cups instead of 6 in the preparation.
- The Maine lobster chowder is well-known for its creamy and juicy flavor, which was made from using butter. In the recipe below, many people just use 6 tbsps of butter, but for the signature rich flavor, Fishermen’s Net highly recommends you to use all butter in the recipe.
- While seasoning the salt and pepper, you must give the soup a try first to adjust the flavor correctly.
- You can use chicken stock or seafood stock instead of water to be fully flavored.
- In the 3rd step, you should simmer the lobster meat in the potato and onion sauce for 7 to 10 minutes to build the flavor.
This dish is divided into three separate steps. Follow these steps strictly to make the most delicious Maine lobster chowder.
- In a large pot, melt 2 tbsps of butter. Put it over low heat, then add diced onion, stir and cook until it is soft and golden brown.
- Next, add the potatoes with 6 cups of water then simmer it. Remember to season the broth with salt and pepper, then cook it for approximately 30 minutes, until the potatoes become gently soft and tender.
- In another pot (you can use a skillet instead), melt the rest of the butter in medium-high heat, then add all of the prepared lobster into it.
- Quickly stir it with a wooden spoon, cook it until the meat is fully cooked, which has a nice brown color on it.
You can divide the lobster meat into 2 parts then cook them respectively for the full taste.
- Add the cooked lobster to the onion and potato mixture that we’ve just prepared in step 1. Gently stir it over medium heat.
- Next, add a can of evaporated milk, a tbsp of dried basil and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if it is needed.
- If the lobster sauce is way too thick, you can put some milk or cream in it. Now it’s ready to serve.
Put the lobster back to the onion and potato mixture to steam then serve
If you know lobster chowder, you will surely be confused with lobster bisque, here are some different points for you to distinguish:
- Bisques are smooth, silky, while chowders are chunky and toothsome with chunks of lobster meat or vegetables.
- When making bisques, chefs cook the seafood ingredients twice, thicken the mixture with a roux or rice, and purée or strain the ingredients for a smooth texture. Chowders are a much simpler affair, just simply tossing all ingredients into a soup pot or slow cooker then serve.
- Bisques typically are richer and creamier than chowders, which have a lower cream-to-stock ratio.
3. Nutrition Facts
- Total calories: 351 calories
- Fat: 27 g
- Saturated Fat: 11g
- Protein: 16 g
- Carb: 22 g
- Sodium: 387 mg
- Fiber: 3 g
Read more recipes from Fishermen's Net
That’s the famous Maine lobster chowder recipe for you to try in your family’s feats. If this article is helpful, please share it with your friends and loved ones, and don’t forget to hit the subscribe button to support us and get the latest notifications of other delicious seafood recipes. Thanks for your reading, we hope you have a great meal with your family and friends.
- Regular price
- Sale price