Homemade Oyster Cocktail Recipe
Oysters are a type of seafood that has many nutrients. Its flavor is unique in every recipe. The way to cook oysters is very simple, such as grilling, baking, or eating them raw. But to upgrade eating raw oysters to a high level, you can follow our oyster cocktail recipe. It is simple to make and has a rare, delicious taste. Follow the shares below to know all the steps!
1. History of oyster cocktail
The Oyster Cocktail (as known as Oyster Shooter) is very popular on the West Coast. The history of this dish dates back to 1860, when a miner returned from the gold fields and ate at a restaurant in San Francisco. He ordered a plate of raw California oysters with horseradish, some ketchup, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and a whiskey cocktail. After drinking the whiskey, he put all the ingredients in a cocktail glass and did not forget to add salt and pepper.
The restaurant manager saw this and became interested and asked the miner, who said it was an oyster cocktail. The next day, the restaurant immediately hung a sign on the front window: OYSTER COCKTAIL - FOUR BITS PER GLASS. Within a week, every restaurant in San Francisco was serving this exciting new dish.
To complete this wonderful oyster cocktail recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- 24 oz fresh oysters, shelled
- 1 large purple onion, chopped
- 1 green chilli, chopped
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon rocoto paste (Peruvian chili)
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup cocktail sauce
- 1 teaspoon sweet chili sauce
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 slices of lemon and coarse salt for garnish
- Salt and pepper
- Servings: 4 servings
- Prep: 20 minutes
- Cook: 5 minutes
- Total: 25 minutes
Oyster cocktails are easy to make. You just need to have enough cooking ingredients and follow the step-by-step instructions below. This successful dish will bring you and your family a whole new experience of oysters.
- Gently rinse the shelled oysters with clean water and let them dry. After the water dries, you can put it in the refrigerator if you have not made the cocktail right away.
- Take a large bowl and then put in the bowl of chopped shallot, lime juice, rocoto paste, ketchup, olive oil, cocktail sauce, sweet chili sauce, and mix well.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Then, place the oysters in a large bowl and mix gently with the mixture. Let the oysters soak in the spices for a few minutes. Then we will prepare a cup of the oyster cocktail.
- It is preferable to use a Martini glass. Use lemon to rub around the rim of the glass to wet the rim.
- Pour the coarse salt onto a small plate, then press the rim of the martini against the coarse salt so that the salt sticks to the rim. We will have a very unique Martini glass.
- Use a spoon to scoop the oyster cocktail into the glass.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and lemon slices. Drop small iron cilantro on the oyster mixture and put a slice of lemon in the mouth of the glass.
- Serve immediately upon completion.
- If you have large oysters, you can chop the oysters before mixing the cocktail sauce to make them easier to eat.
- Chilling the martini glass before serving the oysters will keep the flavor of the oysters fresher for longer. The fresh taste will also make this dish more delicious.
- You can add diced avocado to the recipe for a more Latino-inspired cocktail.
Oyster cocktail recipe is easy and quick to make
4. Nutrition Information
Nutrition information will tell you clearly how many calories this dish will load into your body. You can view the nutritional information to tailor the servings to you. Here are the nutritional values of each serving:
- Total calories: 80 calories
- Total carbohydrates: 5g
- Total fat: 3.5g
- Saturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 5g
- Cholesterol: 25 mg
- Sodium 95mg
- Iron: 2 mg
- Potassium: 220 mg
You can watch simple oyster cocktail recipe in this video below!
Oysters can be processed into many unique dishes, but with our experience in seafood cooking, the oyster cocktail is the most special. The unique flavor and fresh oyster taste will help you feel the true taste of the sea. Moreover, this dish also adds many nutrients to you and it is very easy to make. You can enjoy this oyster dish at home with the simple recipe we shared above.
- Website: www.mualobster.com
- Address: 36 Bath Rd, Brunswick, ME 04011, USA
- Tel: +1 (207) 844 8343
- Regular price
- Sale price